Born in Sri Lanka, Mrs. Mathy Pillai came to New York to receive higher education but heracquired passion for the world of dance, its expressive qualities, led her attended internationally well-known dance schools.
Dance Schools which Mrs. Mathy Filial received her training from are listed below.
1. Martha Gram Dance School (New York)
2. Fred Astaire Dance School (New York)
3. Oriental New York Institute (New York)
4. Padmini Institute of Dance (New Jersey)
5. Sri Guru School of Dance (India)
6. Guru Dakshana Murthypillai School of Dance (India)
An accomplished and articulate exponent of classical Indian dance Bharatha Natyam . This dance form dates back 4,000 years. Among Mathy's many credits, she has performed to rave reviews at the following
1. United Nations – The African American Institute of UN
2. Carnegie Hall – New York
3. City Hall – Hong Kong
4. New Artists- india's International Center ( India )
5. New York University
6. Yale University
7. Manahattan Community College
9. Hunter College
10. Columbia University
11. Radha Govinda Mandie ( London, UK )
12. Kearney Madir (NJ)
13. Swami Narayana Mandir (NJ)
14. Ganesh Temple (Flushing ,NY)
15. Asian Society Institute (NY)
Her excellent work in the field of Bharatha Natyam was recognized and she received the title "Natya Jothi", ( The light of Dance ) by Sri Guru School of Dance in India.
Mrs. Pillai has taught in various dance Schools and has spread culture over past 20 years, a few are: The International Dance School of Carnegie Hall (NYC) , The Rainbow International School (NYC) Radha Govinda Mandir (NYC) , International Yoga Center (NYC) ,Kearney Mandir (NJ) , Swami Narayana Mandir (NJ) , Govinda Mandir (NJ), Indian Cultural Center (NJ) , and Ganesh Temple (NY).
Mathy Pillai has trained over 750 students, 50 of which graduated and became teachers themselves. Mrs. Pillai is the founder, director, and coordinator of Kalai Aham Dance School. The Kalai Aham dance school is well known for graduating the youngest children in Bharatha Natyam, (Thevika and Rathika ) received a diploma and completed this art form at the tender age of 5.
Mrs. Pillai is also a youth coordinator at the Queens Hindu Temple in Flushing, NY. She is a motivational speaker and spreads positive thinking to the youth as well as adults. Volunteers to give guided meditation classes for stress relief. Mrs. Pillai is also a certified Yoga instructor from Integral Yoga Institute (NYC).